Sunday, October 25, 2009

New Ideas to Move Forward

"Because that's the part (_concept_) the architect determines. Most of the time, the content-the program- is given elsewhere. I can modify it, I can transform it, I can subvert, but generally it is initiated elsewhere. In the same way, I can modify the reading of the context, but it is also given. The concept, however, isn't a given; it's what I, as an architect, have to generate. Nevertheless, it is somehow contaminated, transformed, or deformed by context and content. " - Bernard Tschumi



After reading this text from Enrique Walker's published conversation with Tschumi in Tschumi on Architecture I have come to realize how true this is. Especially in regards to this project I believe that my concept is the most crucial element in the design, not structure not HVAC systems, not egress stairs. From here I need to reevaluate my concept. Should a building that is attempting to portray a LIBRARY OF POWER be under the earth. Should the books be contained in one single element? Should the books be reachable? Should we progress through different levels that attempt to overwhelm and deceive while showcasing a ever present mass of books?
From this point I am focusing on making the presence of the library have more of an impact on the site, enhancing the idea of power/ control over people. This move will give the concept of power a more literal reading than that of the power of knowledge. I do believe this move will make my project more powerful (no pun intended). However the criticism that the siting of the project should be relocated to the side of the library withing the tree grove gives this enhanced conceptual reading both negatives and positives. Yes i can draw registration lines off the mass of the existing stack and would be more feasible for "disrupting the site", HOWEVER, a move off the main quad, I believe would be doing a disservice to the idea of power that the project would be off to the side and not become a powerful landmark. The building would be out of the way and less experiential and rather would become an uninhabited zone on the campus. This zone now is used quite often as a grove of shade where students relax and study. If I manipulate the site here I would need to be sensible to the fact that I would be taking that away from the students. i think that any moves within this area, if I am still under ground, would need to continue to allow students to move about and use the area as their "playground". I think there is a large opportunity to make this area an interactive space for students and the library of power. The building will remain basically the same in concept and form but will now begin to be manipulated and skewed with the injection of programmatic elements and moves that will resolve conflicts in response to the site conditions.

1 comment:

  1. and, remember - as we were talking the other day - that the notion of power (the old one that you initially started with) can be supplanted by the new one of the book stacks as a quasi-altar (focal point, etc. as suggested by rachel) that suggest the importance of knowledge (ie. knowledge=power).

    ReplyDelete