Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rethinking Post Mid Review

After Fridays mid review I am starting to reconsidered my siting of the project and the way the building meets the ground and interacts with the people on the ground level. Also I need to reevaluate my reasons for the building being underground and need to clean up/ refocus the idea of the stacks as power and the idea of the power of knowledge. I agree with the critics that the idea of this box that holds the stacks could become very bold but the development and articulation of the form and its interaction with the rest of the project needs to be done with great conviction and reason to be successful. The approach to the box and the way it becomes engaged need to be more meaningful. I especially appreciate the idea of the Beinecke Library at Yale and how that box is engaged. The sequence of moves and arrival, the threshold - do we enter the building at the beginning of the project or do we move through the reading rooms etc and then arrive at the books and then we are "in"? I think that capturing a sense of not being in the building or a single space until the stacks are reached is a quality that I have been trying to achieve throughout the project. I think that a lot of these conflicts and problems will become resolved with a move in site from the quad to the south of the library to the side of the library, drawing from the existing stacks, although I am hesitant in that becoming a solid move but it will be tried and tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment